Mold has the potential to contaminate any home or business. Mold is considered bad to very dangerous and damaging to your health. If you have a problem with mold in your home or business, it is imperative that your contact a professional to remove the mold, whether it is indoors or outdoors. For folks living in Iowa, Illinois, or Missouri, American Hometown Services can come to your aid. At this time we would like to answer the frequently asked questions concerning mold.
Q: What makes mold thrive?
A: Favorable conditions including; 1) Moisture – Humidity in roughly 50% or higher, leaking or dripping pipes or faucets, or a water intrusion caused by flooding. 2) Food – Mold will feed on paper, leather, and wood. Drywall is a perfect source with the paper coating it offers the mold spores. If other conditions are excellent, mold can even thrive in dirt or dust. 3) Temperature – Spores can progress in temperatures just above freezing and as high as 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Temperatures ranging from 70 degrees to 90 degrees Fahrenheit are preferable. 4) Time – Depending on the conditions, mold can grow rapidly in as less as 24 hours to 10 days. 5) Stagnant air – Insufficient air circulation and ventilation can increase moisture buildup, giving mold more opportunity.
Q: How does mold get indoors?
A: Mold is naturally found outdoors, but with varying circumstances it can grow inside, for example.
– Severe storms or overflowing surface waters, like rivers, causing flooding that spills inside your home or business.
– Damaged roof components; shingles, ice dams, or even blocked gutters causing roof leaks.
– Rain waters intruding into windows or door entry.
– Sewer backups, leaking pipes, or malfunctioning appliances.
– Basements or crawl spaces continually dampened due to a high water volume or poorly managed rainwater drainage.
Q: How can I prevent mold growth?
A: Controlling the excessive moisture or condensation buildup is primary. Keeping every nook and cranny of your home or business clean and dry can prevent mold from taking root, even if a mold spore is brought in. Ensuring you have proper ventilation and control the humidity levels can help as well.
Q: Are mold spores toxic?
A: They can be. Mold spores produce metabolites or mycotoxins and if built in ideal environments, it is capable of tripling the helical glucan. Prolonged exposure to mold has been linked to some ill effects, but studies and tests are still underway to determine more facts concerning the harm it can or cannot do.
Q: Should I be concerned about mold I may find in my home or business?
A: Small quantities, like the mildew in the shower that can be easily treated with household cleaners are not a major concern. If you find a major outbreak it is a health risk, and getting professional medical care and mold removing experts should be priority.
Q: What does mold do to people?
A: It is very common for people to be allergic to mold and thus the typical allergy symptoms will manifest. Flu-like symptoms and rashes may also occur, as well as induce asthma for those suffering from breathing difficulties.
Q: Who are likely to be more prone to mold health effects?
A: Infants, children, elderly, pregnant women, people who suffer from allergies, asthma, or respiratory problems, and those with weak immune systems.
Mold Removal & Remediation in Quincy, Macomb, Hamilton, Warsaw & East Alton Illinois | Hannibal, Missouri and Norman, Oklahoma
We hope that helps answer some of the questions you have concerning mold. If you have any further questions, American Hometown Services will be happy to answer them. If you suspect mold is infesting your home or business, contact American Hometown Services as soon as possible for mold removal and remediation assistance.