Indoor air quality is a common concern, especially during the coldest months when everyone is cooped up inside. One of the biggest cause for poor indoor air quality is mold. It has many adverse effects on your health and is also damaging to your home. American Hometown Services is here to talk about how mold can affect your health as well as signs that point to a mold problem.
Symptoms of Mold Sickness
There are several ways that mold adversely affects your health. Studies have shown that it affects your health in more ways than the usual respiratory effects most people know about. Here are some ways you may not realize dangerous mold is affecting you and your family.
1. Skin– You may notice a flare up of rashes, or burning on your skin when mold is present.
2. Digestive Issues– There are several issues in your GI tract that are affected by mold. You may experience diarrhea, fibrosis, necrosis, and even liver damage.
3. Emotional Health– Recent studies have linked dangerous mold with depression.
4. Reproductive Problems– Dangerous mold has been linked to infertility and fluctuation in a woman’s reproductive cycle.
5. Respiratory Issues– For years, people have been aware of the respiratory effects of dangerous mold. Shortness of breath, asthma, and other respiratory problems are experienced with the presence of mold.
Signs of Mold in Your Home
Mold presents itself in many ways, and you need to be aware of them to avoid damage to your health and home.
1. Trust Your Sense of Smell – Often, when mold is present, you will be able to smell it. It has a very dank, smell that is easily distinguishable. When you have a mold problem, you will most likely be able to smell it and that shouldn’t be ignored.
2. High Humidity Levels – If you notice water accumulating on your windows, you know that your home is too humid. Too much humidity creates the perfect environment for mold growth.
3. Damp or Flooded Basement – If you have had recent water damage in your basement, you should be on high alert for any signs of mold. Thoroughly checking for mold is necessary to stay on top of it. You may need to enlist the help of fans to dry the area out. Make sure the basement has proper ventilation.
4. Leaking Roof or Attic – Another source of moisture in your home might be a leaking roof. Any added moisture should be a cause for concern. Any cracks or damage to the roof could lead to leaking water into your attic. This can quickly turn into a mold problem.
5. Sometime Mold Isn’t Visible – Sometimes, mold hides within the walls of your home. It is difficult to detect it when you can’t see it or smell it. If it is found inside your walls, you will most likely still experience the health effects that only mold can bring.
Mold Clean Up, Remediation & More in Quincy, Macomb, Hamilton, Warsaw & East Alton Illinois | Hannibal, Missouri
If you find that you have a mold problem in your home, it is important that it is completely and properly removed. There are several guidelines that must be followed when eliminating a mold problem. American Hometown Services offers mold cleaning and removal to keep you and your loved ones safe from mold.