Water can cause serious damage to your residential home or commercial property and the knowledgeable fire, water and flood damage restoration specialists at American Hometown Services recommend that you should never underestimate the amount of damage that a leaky roof can cause to your home or business.
Common Causes of Roof Leaks
Roof leaks can develop as a result of many circumstances including; wind or storm damage, improper roof installation and lack of maintenance. Even a small leak that is left unchecked can cause serious damage to your property. The majority of homeowners think of a leaky roof as the cause of structural problems within the home, but the truth is a leaky roof can also cause serious health and safety issues.
Some of the Areas of Damage Caused by a Leaking Roof Include:
• Ceiling Water Damage: Initially the damage will be confined to the attic and any of the items you have stored in the attic. If the leak is left to its own devises it will cause damage to the interior ceiling. Areas affected will show the tell-tale signs of water damage including ceilings with cracked, bubbling and stained ceiling paint. The leaking water can also damage the nearby walls.
• Interior mold and mildew: One of the most serious problems associated with a leaking roof is mold and mildew growth. Mold can quickly spread throughout the structure of your home and has the ability to infect your HVAC system spreading mold spores through the vents to other areas within your home or business where it can infect your carpets, furniture and clothing. Black mold is very common after flooding. While toxic black mold growth is considered rare, there is a danger of non-toxic black mold which has the ability to damage wood framing, ceiling tiles, walls and carpets. Once mold takes a hold it can be difficult to get rid of.
• Mold related Health concerns: Mold and mildew is responsible for a variety of health related issues including nasal congestion, bronchitis, asthma and inflammation. Once present, mold spores will continue to reproduce leading to allergic reactions and other serious health related problems.
• Fire Hazard caused by water damage: A leaking roof can pose a serious fire threat. If you have experienced water damage one of the most important things you can do to prevent the risk of fire is to turn off the electricity and immediately contact an electrician. The risk of fire from shorted wires can have deadly consequences.
If you have experienced water damage caused by a leaking roof or any other type of flooding or water intrusion contact the restoration specialists at American Hometown Services today in Quincy, Macomb, Hamilton, Warsaw & East Alton Illinois | Hannibal, Missouri and Norman, Oklahoma!
Our Expert Restoration services Include:
– Water & Flood Damage Remediation Repairs & Restoration
– Fire Damage Remediation Repairs & Restoration
– 24/7 Emergency Clean Up and Restoration Services
– Sanitizing, Disinfection, and Odor Removal
– Mold and Mildew Remediation
– Sewage Cleanups (Sewer, Fire, Smoke, Cellar)
– Water Extraction, Water Mitigation, Dry Outs and much more!