Mold only needs 24 hours to take hold and thrive under the right circumstances. For example, let’s say your washing machine decided to malfunction, and instead of properly draining down the piping, it has spilled gallons of water all over your floor, flooding the area. No big deal right? You say a few choice words under your breath or as loudly as the neighbors can hear and use every towel you own to sop up the mess. Now you believe the water damage is contained and think nothing more of it once the washing machine is of course working appropriately. But what you didn’t realize is that the water seeped in to that bottom inch of wall and under the baseboards. The humidity in the washroom and the dust particles, lint, and other forms of debris are all contributors to giving mold the perfect living conditions to thrive. In as little 24 hours that mold has flourished, spreading and taking over the drywall and subfloor. The real bummer is that you do not even realize the devastation yet. That is just one of many scenarios that have happened to homeowners across the United States. We at American Hometown Services would like to take the opportunity to explain mold and why you want to avoid it whenever possible.
Health Risk of Mold in Your House
For starters, let’s look at the health risks of mold. After long term mold exposure anyone can feel the symptoms, but those that have mild to severe allergic reactions to mold can start to feel the effects fairly quickly, depending on the severity of the allergic reaction. Those who suffer from asthma attacks, with weakened immune systems and respiratory issues can face challenges when facing mold exposure as well.
For allergy sufferers or those feeling the effects of mold on their body, you could be experiencing the following symptoms:
– Throat irritation
– Nasal congestion
– Eye irritation
– Skin irritation
Mold Damage & Remediation
Not only can mold be harmful to your health, but under the right circumstances mold can infest homes quickly and silently destroy many of the materials it overwhelms. When your home endures water damage, moisture is often left behind. That combined with warmth, darkness and a food source, such as dust for example, feeds the mold to thrive and quickly consume the raw materials used to construct your home. The mold spores can now easily be introduced into the air and will cycle in your HVAC system depositing mold spores anywhere in the home, even in the ducts themselves. Mold spores settling in various areas of your abode can simply take root and advance. Mold can even be transported by people and pets. Spores can land on someone and then spread throughout the home when it gets left behind to grow in other places. If left untreated, soon your home can be overrun with mold.
How to Prevent Mold After Water Damage
If you have experienced water damage in your house, a professional should be hired to ensure the water damage is properly and efficiently managed to avoid the possibility of a mold outbreak. If mold does develop, the CDC strongly recommends getting a professional involved for proper cleaning, removal and disposal.
Do understand however, mold doesn’t need a flood-like scenario catastrophe to take hold either. Mold often blossoms from the bathroom not getting the proper ventilation for an extended period of time, or spores could have been deposited from somewhere outside. Or uncontrolled humidity levels in your home might be the cause. The possibilities of mold influencing your home are endless. To keep you and your loved ones safe from hazardous mold, ensure you are doing what you can to prevent it. American Hometown Services have prepared some helpful tips:
– Use the exhaust fans and all other means of ventilation. Especially in bathrooms, laundry rooms and anywhere else that frequently receives moisture and high levels of humidity.
– Immediately repair leaky pipes and plumbing fixtures.
– Do not let the humidity levels reach over 50% in your home. Air conditioning and dehumidifiers can contribute to maintaining levels.
– Dry any water spills or condensation as soon as possible.
– Utilize mold dissolving products to clean bathrooms.
– Add mold inhibitors to paint when painting your home’s interior.