The summertime is riddled with BBQs and fun time. This past 4th of July was likely celebrated with delicious food and fireworks. With the increase of summer get togethers, your carpets can be easily subjected to grease spots and stains from spills. With that in mind, we at American Hometown Services, Inc would like to relate a method on removing any grease spots from your carpets.
Carpet Stain Removal Kit
Collect the following (note the solution for different types of carpet):
– Cleaning Solution:
• Wool – Dry cleaning solvent for carpets; follow the directions on the label.
• Oriental – Combine 1 part white vinegar with 2 parts cold water in a squirt bottle.
– Synthetic – Mix ¼ tsp mild liquid dish soap, 1 tbs ammonia, and 4 cups of cold water in a squirt bottle.
– White, clean paper towels or cloths.
– Spray bottle with only cool water.
– Heavy objects you can use as weights.
Note: Always perform a patch test inconspicuous area to make sure the carpet doesn’t discolor, stain, or the fibers are damaged; whether you opt to use a commercial product or a DIY formula.
Grease Stain Removal from Carpet
1) Remove as much excess grease as possible by blotting the area with paper towels or cloths. Always blot throughout the treatment, never scrub or rub the stains; doing so will only make the stain harder to remove. Begin blotting around the outer edges and work towards the center to keep the grease from spreading out.
2) Generously apply the appropriate solution to your type of carpet without over saturating and for about 5 minutes allow it to set in.
3) Start blotting at the treated area with a fresh cloth or paper towel until the grease is gone. As the grease and solution absorbs into the cloth or paper towel, you will likely need multiple rags or paper towels. If necessary, reapply the and blot as many times as it takes to get the grease out.
4) You will need to get the area rinsed and dry as possible because leaving the cleaning residue behind can easily attract dust, making the area look filthier. Use the plain water to moderately spray the treated area and use dry cloths to blot away the excess moisture.
5) Upon completion of removing the excess moisture, lay a dry towel over the top of the area and stack your weights on top to help pull the moisture out; leave the setup overnight.
6) To relax the fibers to the original shape, vacuum the spot only after it is completely dry.
Extra Tips to Remove Grease Stains from Carpet
1) Synthetic carpets can be treated with additionally household chemicals to remove the grease; however, most are flammable so use at your own risk with caution. Apply on a cotton ball and blot grease with paint thinner, rubbing alcohol, lighter fluid, or mineral spirits.
2) Only use cool water to keep the stain from setting.
3) Keep ammonia from contacting wool carpets. Never use bleach on carpets as it will permanently lighten them and avoid using laundry detergent or dishwasher detergents because they will damage the fibers.
Carpet Cleaning Services & More in Quincy, Macomb, Hamilton, Warsaw & East Alton Illinois | Hannibal, Missouri
If you are having trouble removing the grease or have any other spots and stains to removed from your carpets, call American Hometown Services, Inc and let our team of specialists care for your carpets.