The thought of finding mold in your home or business leaves property owners across the nation shuddering in horror. The reality is that no matter how hard you try to avoid it, mold spores will find a way to get into your home, office, and warehouse appearing in damp areas such as walls and bathrooms. Even more alarming is the fact that your carpets are a prime target for mold growth because mold is particularly attracted to areas that contain dirt and moisture. According to the knowledgeable experts at American Hometown Cleaning, it is possible to keep the carpets in your home and business protected by following these easy five tips.
How to Prevent Mold in House
1. Lower Humidity Levels in House: Mold thrives in moisture and mold spores reproduce quickly in humid areas, it is very important that you keep your indoor humidity levels under 60%. The easiest way to control humidity is to install a dehumidifier that is the correct size for the room that needs protection. It is also imperative that you keep the temperature set to below 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Remove Carpet from High Humidity Areas of the Home: while this may seem drastic, removing carpets from areas that are especially prone to moisture or water leaks makes perfect sense. Your basement for example, is an area that is at risk of water damage from excessive rain caused by storms or accidental flooding from a faulty washing machine or water heater.
3. Select Antimicrobial Carpet Padding: This carpet padding is designed to resist mold and bacteria. If you are planning on replacing the carpet in your home or business consider selecting a rubber backed carpet padding that is specifically designed to resist mold and bacteria growth. Although antimicrobial carpet padding is more expensive that tradition carpet padding, it is well worth the extra expensive.
4. Remove Any Standing Water ASAP: Mold only requires a small amount of water to take hold; in fact mold can begin to grow within 24 to 48 hours of exposure to moisture. Even accidental spills should be cleaned up immediately. For natural and manmade disasters, Contact your Utah Disaster Team for emergency water restoration services to begin the process of removing water and drying your carpet.
5. Keep Carpets Clean & Deodorized: You probably don’t even realize it but dirt, dust and debris essentially feeds mold spores and encourages mold growth. Avoid the buildup of dirt in your carpet fibers by vacuuming your carpets and rugs at least once a week and have your carpets professionally cleaned and sanitized at least once a year depending on their level of exposure to dirt and moisture.
Carpet Cleaning, Water Damage Restoration, Mold Remediation & More in Quincy, Macomb, Hamilton, Warsaw & East Alton Illinois / Hannibal, Missouri and Norman, Oklahoma
Mold can grow in many areas of your home, including areas that you may not be able to see. If you suspect that your home or business may already be infected with mold, contact your knowledgeable American Hometown Cleaning professionals to learn more about carpet cleaning, mold inspections, mold remediation, and flood water damage for your home or business today.