Mold has a particular fondness for warm, moist and humid conditions which make your bathroom the ideal area in your home for mold and mildew growth. There are many types of mold which can be found indoors, some of the most common forms include alternaria, aspergillus, cladosporium and penicillium. Mold and mildew that is found in your home can pose serious health threats to you and your family. It is imperative that you get rid of the mold in your home and prevent it from reoccurring in the future.
What Causes Mold to Grow in a House?
One of the most common causes of mold growth in your bathroom is moisture, especially moisture that is trapped in a bathroom that does not have efficient ventilation. Leaky showers, sinks and tubs also contribute to unacceptable moisture levels which can subsequently lead to the development of mold. Mold can also grow on damp materials including wallpaper, paper products, drywall, shower curtains and liners, and the back of rugs and grout lines.
How Can I Prevent Mold from Growing in my Bathroom?
Established mold will require the help of an American Hometown Services professional to completely remove all traces of mold from your home.
The knowledgeable experts at American Hometown Services have provided the following tips to help you prevent mold from developing in your bathroom.
• Make sure that your bathroom is properly ventilated
• Use your ventilation fan or open a window when you are running water in the tub or shower. Keep your fan running for at least 30 minutes after you have finished showering or taking a bath
• Purchase a mildew-resistant shower curtain
• Wash your shower curtain on a regular basis preferably once a week
• Pick up damp towels or other items on the floor immediately
• Wash and dry bathroom area rugs on a regular basis
• Wipe down the shower tiles/grout to ensure that any dampness is removed
• Repair any leaks including leaking faucets and shower heads immediately.
Mold Removal & Remediation
You can put a stop to mold growing in the shower, bathtub or sink by regularly cleaning these areas and removing soap scum. Soap scum that is left to sit can lead to the development of mold. Keep the tub and sink clean to stop mold growth in its tracks. The best way to completely eliminate mold from your bathroom and the surrounding areas includes:
• Use a cleaning product that is specially developed to kill mold such as bleach or hydrogen peroxide. Make sure that the room is properly ventilated and wear safety googles and gloves.
• Thoroughly dry the area after cleaning.
• Remove any caulking that is damaged by mold and re-caulk the area as needed.
• Apply a sealer to the grout line to help prevent any mold growth in the future.
• If mold has developed under the drywall, in the insulation, ceiling or ventilation system, contact your American Hometown Services mold remediation specialist immediately.
Mold Cleaning, Prevention, Removal & Remediation in Quincy, Macomb, Hamilton, Warsaw & East Alton Illinois / Hannibal, Missouri and Norman, Oklahoma
If you have experienced mold or mildew in your home or business, contact the professionals at American Hometown Services today and speak with a friendly and knowledgeable customer service professional about our comprehensive mold cleaning, abatement, removal and remediation services.